Bad networking techniques
Is there such a thing as a bad networking style?
Absolutely. The worst styles of networking is referred to as “scorched-earth networking” and is the best example of how to fail as a networker. Avoid doing these behaviors of a scorched-earth networker:
- Moves from networking group to networking group, dissatisfied with the quality of referrals they get.
- Talks more than listens.
- Doesn’t “honor the event” by networking at inappropriate opportunities.
- Thinks visibility is most important and ignores the value of building credibility.
- Has a “get” and not “give” mentality.
- Views networking as a transaction, not a relationship.
Brain Trust contributor:
© 2007, Small Business Network, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
AskJim ID: 1792