Information about competition
How do I find information about my competition?
It's detective work. Slip on your gumshoes and play slooth:
- Public documents. If your competition includes publicly traded companies, the law requires publication of a great deal of specific information.
- Media coverage. Search news sites and industry trade publications for articles on them or the category.
- Web sites. Scour their sites.
- Marketing information. Read their catalogs, advertising materials, products and other public information.
- Store visits. If your competition has a physical location, visit and watch, talk and ask. Talk to customers, peers and others in the marketplace. Use a mystery shopper.
- Industry trade groups. These "insiders" are also an excellent source of categorical information.
Brain Trust contributor:
© 2007, Small Business Network, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
AskJim ID: 240