Research for buying a business
How do I begin the research process of a business I may purchase?
First, learn as much as you can about the overall process of buying any business. There are many potential pitfalls that can be avoided with a little information. With the proper due diligence (research), you'll be better able to know if the price being asked is reasonable. Here are a few suggestions to consider:
- How long has the business been open?
- Who are the owners? Don't assume the person you're talking to owns 100%.
- What do you know about the industry? Is it mature or emerging?
- Talk to others (probably not in the market you're in) who operate in the same industry.
- Can you determine any strengths and weaknesses of this business?
- Who are the customers and why do they come back?
- Who are the competitors?
- How will customers react if the current owners leave?
There are many more questions -- thousands perhaps -- but these will get you started.
Brain Trust contributor:
© 2007, Small Business Network, Inc., All Rights Reserved.
AskJim ID: 406